Along with card payments, you can accept payments via direct debit in Chargebee. Direct Debit payments are automatically initiated during subscription renewal and pulled directly from the customer's bank account. Direct debit is implemented as a payment method through a network of financial institutions in various regions- ACH Network in the US, Bacs in the UK and SEPA in Europe, to name a few.
Single Euro Payment Area (SEPA) is a unified system to perform financial transactions using euro currency within the SEPA region. SEPA ensures safe cross-border payments between EU countries using the payment standards set by European Payments Board(EPB). Three payment instruments are provided by SEPA, namely— SEPA Credit Transfer , SEPA Instant Credit Transfer and SEPA Direct Debit .
Chargebee allows you to configure SEPA Direct Debit payments via Adyen. Read on to understand more about the configuration.
Ensure the following prerequisites are in place before moving on to enable SEPA:
1) In the Chargebee App, click Settings > Configure Chargebee > Gateways > your Adyen gateway account and enable Direct Debit (SEPA).
2) Enter your email and phone number into the respective fields. These are displayed in the Mandate creation and Pre-notification emails sent to your customers.
3) Select Send SEPA emails from Chargebee to send Mandate Creation and Pre-notification emails from Chargebee (explained below).
4) Click Save to save the changes.
5) Under Advanced Configurations, configure the user audience for whom you want to display SEPA as a payment method, either to all customers or only to customers with direct debit enabled.
6) Add the Notification URL, which is displayed on the page, to your Adyen account. This enables Adyen to send information to Chargebee.
7) Click Apply to save the changes.
In Advanced configurations, if you enable Allow for all customers, SEPA shows up as a payment method for all customers irrespective of the customer level setting.
Mandate Creation email: Notifies customers about mandate creation. Mandate is an agreement which states that a payee consents to the receiver debiting a specific amount of money from their bank account on a regular basis. Mandate creation happens when the customer agrees for the above terms. This email is sent only during mandate creation (only once).
Pre-notification email: Notifies customers that a payment amount will be debited in X days from their bank account.
You can view and edit the content of these emails by clicking Settings > Configure Chargebee > Email notifications > Payments & Credits > SEPA.
If you had selected Send SEPA emails from Chargebee, both the emails would be sent for SEPA payments during first transaction. For subsequent transactions, only the Pre-notification email will be sent.
The Mandate Creation and Pre-notification emails are editable. If you need to edit the content of these emails, ensure your changes are in line with the SEPA guidelines.
European Payment Council recommends an authorization agreement be sent to the customer to view the mandate.
1) Where should I add the Notification URL in my Adyen account?
To find the Notification URL in your Chargebee App, click Settings > Configure Chargebee > Payment gateways > your Adyen gateway account. The Notification URL section contains the URL which needs to be copied and pasted in your Adyen account.
In your Adyen account, click Account > Server communication > Add Standard Notification. Add the Notification URL in URL field and select Active. Finally, click Save Configuration to save the changes.