When a subscription is nearing the end of its term and is not set to renew, the customer can be given the option to extend their subscription themselves.
This can be accomplished by including an extend subscription button on the Subscription cancellation reminder email sent to the customer.
Here's a sample of such an email:
Alternatively, you may use your own system to lead the customer to the extend subscription page by using the Chargebee extend subscription API call .
Once the customer clicks on the extend button in the email or when they are lead to the URL returned to you by the API call, a Chargebee-hosted page shows up where the customer can extend their subscription:
The feature is designed to let the customer quickly extend their subscription for another term by the click of a button. Hence, the extention happens for the same number of billing cycles and with the same billing interval as specified in the Plan settings (any changes made to the plan at the Subscription level are not applied). Also, if the number of billing cycles in the Plan was configured as "Forever", the subscription is only extended for one cycle.
- Extend subscription feature is only supported for subscriptions in the non-renewing state.
- The option to add/edit the payment method is available to the customer only if auto-collection is enabled at the Customer level and, at the same time, not disabled at the Subscription level.
Configuring the Email Reminder
You can add the extend subscription option to your email reminder(s) in the following way:
- Navigate to Settings > Configure Chargebee > Email Notifications > Subscription Cancellations.
- Edit the Subscription cancellation reminder email notification.
- Add the Extend Subscription button for extending the subscription.
- Add the estimated charge on subscription extension using the Subscription Extension Estimate mail merge field. The estimate will automatically account for coupon discounts applicable at the time of extension.
Here's a sample of the email configuration:
- These options are only available in the Subscription cancellation reminder email and no other email.
- Email Notifications v1 does not support this feature.
Configuring the Extend Subscription Hosted Page
We will now look at the steps to customize the way the Extend Subscription Hosted Page looks to the customer:
For Hosted Pages v3
- Navigate to Settings > Configure Chargebee > Checkout and Self-Serve Portal > Labels tab > Add more copy/text
- Enter the search term "extend" to list the relevant options.
- Choose the options you wish to edit, and edit them.
- Preview your changes: navigate to Preview Action Pages > Preview settings > Under Choose action type choose Extend Subscription and proceed.
For Hosted Pages v2
- Navigate to Settings > Configure Chargebee > Checkout and Self-Serve Portal > Text Configuration > In-App Portal
- Change the copy/text as desired.
The extend subscription page will not be available to the customer once the subscription is cancelled.