Email notifications can be sent out to your customers using either Chargebee's SMTP server or your own SMTP server.
When using Chargebee's SMTP server, email notifications are limited to
- 50 per day for Test site
- 2000 per day for all the plans in Live site except Launch plan which is restricted to 50 per day.
The notifications limit is reset every day at midnight UTC time. But if you are using your own SMTP server, these limits do not apply. You will have full control over the mails and can also check reports and deliverability. To configure the SMTP settings, if you are using:
Configuring Your Own SMTP Settings
When you choose to use your own SMTP server,you can use your SMTP service provider's host name, username and password, encryption type and the port number. The email notification limit for your custom SMTP server is decided by your service provider.
SMTP Information per Email provider
- Chargebee will verify the credentials by sending a test email
- ‘From Address' will be taken from the email notification settings (for version 1 of emails and Customize Master Template for version 2 of email notifications)
- ‘To Address' will be email address of the user who has logged in
- If you are using an SMTP provider's Sandbox account, then make sure you are a verified Sender/Receiver. SMTP providers check whether the email address is verified or not to avoid misuse
- If your account has Multiple factor authentication (MFA) enabled, such as in Gmail or Zoho, then you will have to create a Custom App credential
- Mail clients' SMTP account may override ‘From Address' you set in Chargebee to its own ‘From Address'
- However, some email clients, such as Office 365, the username of the ‘SMTP Settings' and the ‘From Address' given in Chargebee should be the same, for you to use the credentials in Chargebee
Why would I use my own SMTP Server when I can use Chargebee's?
There are 3 primary reasons why one would use their own SMTP server:
- You can manage your own SPF records and also handle email bounces yourself.
- Notification limits used by Chargebee do not apply when using your own SMTP server.
- DMARC policies will not affect your email delivery. More on DMARC policies here.